Leather is a material that will naturally stretch over time, but sometimes you want to quicken that process. Whether you want to stretch out your leather shoes, jacket, or accessory, there are several strategies you can follow. There are many ways you can stretch leather, from using a hairdryer to heat up the leather to applying alcohol to areas you’d like to stretch out. You can even use a stretching spray to achieve the perfect stretch. By choosing a tactic that works with your leather item, you’ll be stretching out your leather in no time.
Using a Product Designed to Stretch
Apply a leather stretching spray for an easy fix. Buy a leather stretching spray that you can spray directly onto the leather to stretch it. The spray should cause the leather to become stretchy and soft. These sprays are often used on shoes and clothing items, so it’s important to wear the leather item after you’ve sprayed it to ensure it stretches properly.
- If you’re applying the leather stretching spray to something other than clothing or shoes, you’ll need to hang the leather and weigh down an end with something heavy to stretch it out.
- Leather stretching sprays can be found at most big-box and shoe stores, or you can buy them online. The sprays typically cost $5-$15.
Use a conditioner to make leather soft and bendable. There are leather conditioners that you can buy that will help soften your leather. They typically come in a liquid or cloth form, ranging in cost from $5-$20.
- These conditioners are great if you’re trying to make furniture, car interiors, or other accessories more pliable, but they also work well on leather clothing and shoes.
- Most conditioners will require you to apply the conditioner to the leather using a cloth. You’ll wait roughly 2 hours for the leather to absorb the conditioner before wiping away any excess residue.
Stretch out your shoes using a shoe stretching machine. Shoe stretchers are usually wooden or plastic inserts that you put in your shoe to stretch it out. You can buy shoe stretchers that will target specific areas of the shoe that you wish to be stretched. Shoe stretchers cost an average of $20.
- You can also take your shoes to a professional to have them stretched. Professionals will have better quality and more complex stretching machines, allowing them to stretch out your shoes in a much faster amount of time.